May 25, 2007

Flaxseed and flaxseed oil (Linum usitatissimum) - MayoClinic.com

Adventures in eating

We have been really enjoying some backfin crabmeat, living as we do at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. We haven't yet gone out crabbing this year, which is always fun, but instead bought some local meat at a local store. It was so good we went back the next day to a different store and bought some more. While eating last night I read the label on the second container--this time it was crab meat imported from Brazil and then cooked, picked and packed in Newport News.

Pardon me, but allow me to ask, Just what the fuck is that?

Would it occur to you that here, at the actual source of the Blue Crab, that anyone would serve Brazilian meat? It boggles the mind. And depresses.

{although the record will reflect that the Brazilian backfin meat was very good, and made some perfectly credible crab cakes with the Colonel's secret recipe.}

Then, this morning, after my Brazilian crabmeat mealI was feeling quite righteous by eating ground flaxseed with my cereal (the package told me it lowers cholesterol magnificently) and also eating the granola I made with the ground flaxseed instead of oil (you can replace oil with a 3 to 1 ratio, and it tastes good). How very organic of me, how healthy and forward looking. My wife (100% pregnant as she is) also dished up some flax. A thought flashed through my mind--can pregnant women eat this stuff?

The answer, as it turns out, is hell no.

When I actually looked up the benefits of flaxseed it turns out that this stuff is virtually poisonous, causing everything from hardened stool to prostate cancer to the quagmire in Iraq (the political equivalent of a sluggish lower G.I.)

Flaxseed and flaxseed oil (Linum usitatissimum) - MayoClinic.com

No comments: