September 19, 2008

This is Mary C. Mann singing "Finger Ring," recorded in Darien, Georgia, April 12, 1926. I was just listening to it and was struck by its magnificence. The lyrics are below.

The Library of Congress page says

"This song, like Mann's first, shares the non-stanzaic construction noted by Gordon for rowing songs. The contrast between strophic construction found in European folksong and the litany form found in Africa supports Gordon's argument that these songs in Mann's repertoire represent an early stage in the progress from African to Afro-American folksong traditions. Gordon collected several other rowing songs from Mann; he also collected another version of "Finger Ring" from a Darien informant (A285, GA75). Mann's statement at the end refers to Mrs. (Roberta Paul) Gordon, whom Mann had known since childhood."

I lost mama's finger ring, finger ring, the finger ring,
I lost mama finger ring, finger ring, the finger ring,
I lost my mama finger ring, finger ring, the finger ring.
I lost my mama finger ring, finger ring, the finger ring.

I know how, I know how to row the boat,
I know how, I know how to row the boat,
I know how to row the boat, I can row the boat just so, finger ring, the finger ring.
I can row the boat just so, finger ring, the finger ring.

I can row, I can row the Bumble Bee,
I can how, I know how to row the Bee,
I know how to row the Bee, Bumble Bee, the Bumble Bee.

I know how to row the Bee, the Bumble Bee, the Bumble Bee.
I know how to row the boat, the Bumble Bee, the Bumble Bee.
I know how to row the boat, the Bumble Bee, the Bumble Bee.

I lost mama, I lost mama finger ring,
I lost mama, I lost my mama finger ring, finger ring, the finger ring, finger ring, the finger ring.
I know how to row the boat, Bumble Bee, Bumble Bee.


Finger Ring.mp3

No comments: